Login

Post subject: Tips and tricks to get over the "I suck" period
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:58 pm 
Bishop
Bishop
I pinched the thread idea off another forum and thought it may be beneficial.

Go.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Tips and tricks to get over the "I suck" period
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:18 am 
Molested
Molested
Start learning a completely new instrument, perferably one that's as different from your weapon of choice as possible (eg. guitarists, don't just pick up a bass). Gives a new perspective on tonality, technique, composition, approach, et al. It'll get you back to grass roots and probably help you identify why you suck when you play your original instrument again.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:01 pm 
Bishop
Bishop
Surround yourself with people who work hard to be better than you. I find it's a little more inspiring than the "oh I don't practice much" or "I'd rather sit around doing nothing than playing the instrument that I slay it" stories.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:30 am 
God
God
Ich_Will_Ficken wrote:
Surround yourself with people who work hard to be better than you. I find it's a little more inspiring than the "oh I don't practice much" or "I'd rather sit around doing nothing than playing the instrument that I slay it" stories.

Every time Sam learns a new trick on guitar or gets a little bit better at something, Mitch goes home and practices for hours on end on that one thing just to come to practice the next week and show Sam that he still thinks he's a POS. It's pretty hilarious.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:18 pm 
Deja vu-u?
Fuck I hate that guy.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:39 pm 
Bishop
Bishop
Learn lots of theory, then forget it. Best advice I ever received.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:46 pm 
Satan
Satan
geotaXis wrote:
Start learning a completely new instrument, perferably one that's as different from your weapon of choice as possible (eg. guitarists, don't just pick up a bass). Gives a new perspective on tonality, technique, composition, approach, et al. It'll get you back to grass roots and probably help you identify why you suck when you play your original instrument again.
yep, this.
and for the same reasons, learn to play or at least appreciate other styles of music than what you're used to.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:27 pm 
Satan
Satan
Location: My tyranny stretches for miles, but has infinitesimal surface area.
I don't do that anymore. I'm the embodiment of kindness and I have fond respect for my good friend PoS.

:)

*Unloads a column of spew*

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:30 pm 
Bishop
Bishop
Geeks wrote:
Ich_Will_Ficken wrote:

Every time Sam learns a new trick on guitar or gets a little bit better at something, Mitch goes home and practices for hours on end on that one thing just to come to practice the next week and show Sam that he still thinks he's a POS. It's pretty hilarious.

Oh God please don't ever write POS on this forum ever again. It'll give me nightmares :P

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:38 pm 
Satan
Satan
1. Practice with a metronome
2. Jam with as many different musicians from as many different musical genres as you can. Also of varying skill levels. Even average musicians can teach you a thing or two.
3. Practice with a metronome
4. Work out as much as you can by ear. Sounds like commonsense, but it's amazing how many "musicians" I've jammed with who learn everything by tablature. Even if you don't work it out 100% right, you'll learn more by listening rather than learning by rote.
5. Practice with a metronome
6. Learn a new instrument (as suggested above)
7. Practice with a metronome.
8. Work out as many ways to play the same piece of music
9. Practice with a metronome
10. Work out all the songs you know with an alternate tuning (this one's great - it fucks up so many people) or playing an alternative technique (for instance, on bass put down the pick and play finger-style. Then work out the same song strumming. Then slapping. Then tapping.)
11. Concentrate on points 1,3,5,7 & 9

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:25 pm 
Satan
Satan
For bassist only. Try learning this.

Once you figure out this abortion of a riff, you'll feel like you can play anything. It was written by a drummer, which explains why it seems so stupid.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:11 pm 
Priest
Priest
-There's this stigma of "I want to be a self taught musician because that will make my musical output more pure" which is absolute rubbish. Get a good teacher.

-Metronome practice is fairly overrated, unless you specifically need to work on timing or speed. Really tremolo speeds have become a pissing contest since the invention of the metronome. Guitarists in particular tend to focus more on rhythmic practice and forget about melodic practice. Basically for every crazy block of sound chuggah you learn, I'd probably at least listen to a Dave Gilmour solo.

-Understand keyboard theory. Even if you can't really play piano, knowing which notes are which is still really important.

-Learn to read music.

-If you play a melodic instrument, learn your pentatonic, major, natural minor, harmonic minor and diminished scales for each key centre (guitarists are quite blessed here, only having to learn patterns).

-Learn the arpeggios of the above.

-Learn the 7 modal variations of the above (again, a much easier undertaking on a guitar/bass than on a piano)

-Read about/play (as much as you can) different styles of music, and as Blake said above, different instruments. If you're into rock music, particularly concentrating on your musical ability crossing the guitar - drums chasm will help your music immensely.

-Practice as much as you can. More important than ANYTHING else is developing your own voice on the instrument. So many people upload countless videos of them tearing up other players solos to YouTube. I dunno maybe some people find that impressive, I sure as hell don't.

-Listen to everything you can, nothing is irrelevant. Analyze music when you hear it. Actively count meters, listen for chord changes.

-Listen to John Coltrane.

-Enjoy playing. Don't view it as work and use it as stress release.

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to anyone, but the following stuff really helped me a few years back when I was really getting started with understanding music, rather than just making it:

Little Black Dots by Steve Vai is an amazing series of exercises, essays and diagrams to develop your musical brain (probably moreso than technique). It gets very new-agey and stupid in parts, the "play one note for an hour" is probably the best example I can think of.
http://vai.com/littleblackdots.html
(and yes, Steve Vai is a great big bag of douche)

Jazz Improvisation Primer by Marc Sabatella is a great way to understand the foundations of music (slanted more toward jazz than it is to pop, but is still extremely useful)
http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/

Hanon Excercises For The Virtuoso Pianist is an hour (or so) long exercise for a classical pianist. While these are designed much more to be played as treble and bass parts of the one exercise (not to mention on a piano), the treble clef parts are a great exercise for a guitarist. Only done it a handful of times, but your sight reading gets really good by the end.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virtuo ... _Exercises

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:59 am 
Satan
Satan
and that, ladies and gentlemen, is how to ruin music for yourself and everyone around you

it's easy, just do this:
*learn piano early on
*practice a billy idol sneer
*learn to play dead kennedys songs drunk
* ??????
*profit!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:27 pm 
Priest
Priest
Each to their own. Most important thing is to enjoy it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:55 pm 
Satan
Satan
you know i'm right - you just don't want to admit, as a guitarist, that your time would have been just as well spent sniffing glue and burning bingo halls down as practicing guitar

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:11 am 
Priest
Priest
I tend to delineate between being a guitarist and being a musician, but whatever makes you happy dude.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:08 pm 
Bishop
Bishop
Practice with a metonome most certainly isn't overrated but I agree with most of what Mikey has to say. Theory certainly isn't any harder on piano. Everything is exactly the same pattern in eery single octave. Modal theory is a breeze as well and far easier to explain with a piano.

Try working on a new technique when you plateau. Work on string skipping, economy picking, sweeping, alternate picking. Practice different scales. I feel that all of this should be done with a metronome to instil a sense of timing and a base off of which to make rhythmic variation in your lines. It's not the metronme that controls your rhythmic variance but your imagination and creativity to play with it, against it and across it.

Take a break and listen to new music. Listen to old music you used to like. Learn a song start to finish. Not just a riff or lick but all the changes. Study why it works for your ears. Examine the interplay between the bass, rhythm and lead. Is the lead outling the chord, is it modal, is it forming an extended voicing.

Learn something not in your style.

Woodshed. Sometimes you just need to put in the time practicing boring shit. Think
of it as weight lifting. You don't do it for a while, can't lift as much. Do you use weightlifting just to lift more weight? Sometimes. Most people use it sport, appearance, strength. Same goes for technique. Speed is a tool, scales are a tool, gear is a tool, use them with discretion to achieve what YOU hear in your head.

Buy a new piece of gear. It can inspire. You might own it a week, it may come to be your favourite gtr, amp, snare, kicks, pedals you will ever own. You may sell it in a week. The point is to absorb as much creativity and inspiration from it as possible. I have tens of thousands of dollars of gear. Some of it cost thousands, some a few bucks. The price is irrelevant to the creative value it can have to you. They are tools like your technique and are to serve a purpose. Communication and expression.

A great Joe satriani exercise is to sit down, and for or minute, play a random note on the click of your metronome. Don't follow any rules, patterns, scales, arps. Just hit it clean and try not to repeat. Free yourself temporarily from everything you've learned. It's important to know the rules. Sometimes it's more important to know you can break them. And when. And how.

Listen to someone better than you with appreciation and modesty and humility. The biggest problem holding most people back is ignorance and arrogance, and most of them don't even know it. No matter how good you are there are thousands way better than you. Be your own worst critic!!!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:05 pm 
Satan
Satan
here's a tip not mentioned yet by anyone in this thread: be less boring

impresarios exist, but no one hums their songs

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:36 pm 
ii-V-I
if you're going to learn any music theory, try not to think of it as a set of "rules" that you have to obey. it should be your goal to remove any limitations you have both technically and conceptually (if writing songs is a goal you have), not to needlessly impose more of them on yourself.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:51 pm 
Bishop
Bishop
karmatic wrote:
if you're going to learn any music theory, try not to think of it as a set of "rules" that you have to obey. it should be your goal to remove any limitations you have both technically and conceptually (if writing songs is a goal you have), not to needlessly impose more of them on yourself.

In other words, music theory is mearly a bunch of names for musical things. The more you study into it, the sooner you'll realise it, and the more options you'll find for yourself.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:46 pm 
Satan
Satan
"You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."

Best advice I've ever received.

"You are not a hero, you are not a martyr."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:47 pm 
ii-V-I
Ich_Will_Ficken wrote:
karmatic wrote:

In other words, music theory is mearly a bunch of names for musical things. The more you study into it, the sooner you'll realise it, and the more options you'll find for yourself.

absolutely, it's little more than a formalised set of terms to facilitate communication.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:38 am 
Satan
Satan
realise what lame-duck fuckheaded gimps guitar teachers are, and don't just learn from one. music teachers in general are some of the most uninspiring pedestrian nothing people, so learn what you can from them, but don't put them on a pedestal - or even really try to impress them. so many bands sound like they're trying to impress their high school music teacher, as opposed to writing something honest

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:46 pm 
Bishop
Bishop
- Don't take a break

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:57 pm 
Bishop
Bishop
take a break

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:22 pm 
Satan
Satan
learn keyboards

this isn't really a tip, i just think more people should do it, 'cos there's fuck all keyboardists around, and most of those aren't particularly fun people

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:04 am 
Bishop
Bishop
amarshism wrote:
take a break

grrr!

It's never worked for me

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 am 
Satan
Satan
get proper singing lessons. not for singing really, more for the cunnilingus technique

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:35 pm 
Choir Boy
Choir Boy
Interesting to see the different schools of thought.

I agree with Luke that sometimes songwriters can get overly theoretical, and hence the creative output can be a bit insipid. For me personally, technicality isn't a really big criteria in terms of what makes a song (I used to find it so). That said, I think at least some technical knowledge is important -- just more colours to your palette.

Currently getting lessons from Grant Collins and really enjoy it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:58 pm 
Choir Boy
Choir Boy
Consistent practice, and always learning something new. Never stick to the same style and you'll always have something new to play/practice/learn to help you progress.

Profile  Offline